Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wild Things: The aesthetics of manliness

If you're a man, you want to go to this place:

As always, you can click on the images to see them larger.


Isn't that perfect? Let's take a closer look.


That is some more of that technology that puts us in touch with the past. That Coke machine for example. I remember those. You'd put your money in and open the door and pull the bottle out of these steel jaws that would loosen. A bit. You had to be real strong.

And there is the ice machine. You still see those. And the neon. Neon signs are real manly art.

Here is the interior.


I'm sorry to have to report that our hero walks up to the bar and orders a girlie drink: rum and coke. Men drink whiskey. Pussies drink rum and coke.

Before moving on, we need to take a closer look over the barmaid's shoulder.



Yeah! Pickled stuff. Yum, yum. The white stuff is probably pickled eggs. Every dive bar in Quebec had those jars. Apparently they did in Florida too. I've never met anyone man enough to actually order and eat those things. Particularly the eggs.

Okay, let's move on.

Like the "lounge"? Well, that's nothing compared to the view across the street.



I've always wanted to go to a motel like that with a beautiful woman, and not to drink rum and cokes. Unfortunately, I waited too long and the bed bug epidemic has pretty much put that fantasy to rest. Oh well, there is still Georges Cinq.

Okay, here is our hero's office. I don't think you could improve on this.




And are those vintage Rosenfield yachting prints I see on the wall?



Why yes, I do believe they are. And a lawyer's bookcase. I wish I had one of those. Wait a minute, I do have one. But, best of all, he has a Rolodex!

To wrap, two images that will probably mean more to me than to most others. One of the characters isn't supposed to know much about sailing but turns out to know a lot. Here is the boat they taught themselves on.



Recognize it? Probably not. It's a Windmill Class boat and the Windmill is one of the great old one-design racing classes. They used to have hundreds of these in Florida. I don't know if they did the research or just got lucky, but this is the perfect boat for this shot. (The class is still active.)

And then, there are these two fishing rods.



Oh yeah, the requisite fedora also makes its appearance in that shot. And yes, that is Bill Murray in the worst casting choice since they put Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls. But back to the fishing rods. Maybe you missed them? They are over on the right. Those were made in the 1960s. You can tell by the rather garish wraps holding the guides on them. If you're not into vintage fishing tackle, it may not mean much to you.  They jumped right out at me because I own both those rods.



And I put it to you that it is irrefutable proof of manly aesthetics that the movie would feature something I own.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment